8.18.2009

Awww- My Baby is 21 today!

Happy Birthday to my baby! Travis turns 21 today and the memories just keep coming the more I think about it!

I'll never forget his birth --- it being my first labor and delivery and all. I had been to the classes and David & I had decided that we would have a natural birth. We read up on everything and made the decision to have a midwife but have the delivery in a hospital just in case. All was planned and we were ready.

David was due to have major knee surgery, so we planned it 2 weeks before the birth - thinking that was a good amount of time for recovery but still would give him 4 more weeks off from work to spent with me and the baby. Well, Travis had another plan.

He arrived less than 24 hours after David's knee surgery- 2 weeks early! David wheeled around the birthing center on a chair with wheels -- completely ignoring all the doctor's advice for rest, elevation and ice!

Going back to the birth --- all was going well until about 6 hours into labor. The pain was getting unbearable and the labor coach and David kept telling me, "You're doing great --- just get through this contraction.....blah.blah.blah" There were a lot of ladies in labor that day and I could hear a lot of screaming in the hospital --- then it all stopped. Finally, sensing that I was at the end of my rope, I told David I wanted drugs. Of course, as pre-arranged, he said, "You can do it, just one more...". I very calmly told him, "Look, I understand that is what we decided, but I've changed my mind. Everyone else in this F*&ing hospital gets drugs including you and I want them now!" Then another contraction hit. At that point they told me I could push and he was born within minutes.

Looking back, I realize that they knew I was close and that it was too late to give me anything, but man was I mad! Our new little family ended up having 6 weeks together before we both had to go back to work -- it was such a great time together. Though, I do distinctly remember that I had no time to recoop because David's knee swelled so bad, he couldn't move for days!

david travis

As the first born and oldest, Travis had to pave the way for the rest of the kids as well as teach us how to be parents. It wasn't always easy -- but I couldn't love him more! I have lots of hopes and dreams for my kids -- but above all, I want them to be happy, healthy and enjoy life. Travis lives life to the fullest, works hard and has fun. I love that.

Here's to you -- my baby boy -- I love you more than you can even imagine!

travismichelle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know you made me have a happy cry lol mom

Tiffany said...

Isn't it amazing how fast time goes by.

Tammy said...

They do grow up so fast don't they.... I tagged you so visit my blog for the details.

Blog Archive