5.08.2009

Don't forget....

....how much your mom means to you and tell her this weekend. If you are anything like me - it is easy to remember all the things that were messed up about your childhood and easy to forget all the wonderful times and all the sacrifices that were made so you could turn out to be who you are.

I can't say that my childhood was ideal---I grew up with a single mom, an absent father, and an older brother (8 years older) who was never a companion to me. My mom worked her a** off to make sure we were taken care of. I was healthy, wore braces and went to a private school. I was alone alot. Sometimes, I look back and that makes me mad - but mostly, it makes me grateful. I learned early that I could handle almost everything on my own -- that independence has gotten me far in life. It is the basis for who I am. Don't get me wrong --- I have been married for 23 years to the love of my life and I don't ever want to experience the "alone" kind of independence again. But, if I had too---I could. My mom taught me that. She was tough and found ways to get us all what we needed.

Independence was just one thing she taught me----

----organization - everything has a place. I am so grateful for this today. With 7 kids - I have had to be organized. I keep a schedule - a calendar and lots of file folders with important things in them.

----financial responsibility - my credit score is one thing I am very proud of. I have always paid my bills early and I never let myself get in over my head.

----Cleanliness - Man --can I clean a house. I may not always have a clean house - but I know how to get it clean in a hurry!

----Family matters - no matter what - whatever your differences or conflicts - family matters.

----Share & be generous - this one I struggle with - but I have been taught and I keep striving to get there.

----Love unconditionally - it doesn't matter what has happened in the past - live for the now and love like there is no tomorrow.

I am forever grateful to my mom - I am so thankful that we are in a place in our lives where we can be friends and spend time together.

Be thankful today - after all - would you be you without your mom?

Take a listen to this again today---just cracks me up!

No comments:

Blog Archive